HomeTutorialsHand PaintedTablescapes

Friday, February 1, 2013

Fence Post Cross

Last week I shared the old wooden cross I found along with some of my other religious art and jewelry and maybe it's the time of year, but I seem drawn to old crosses and holy statuary.  I don't run across many garden crosses that are not outrageously expensive so I decided to make my own.
I went to Home Depot and purchased some wooden fence posts.  Each cross needs three posts.  The employee at Home Depot was kind enough to cut the posts for me.  The side pieces are 13 inches long from the tip of the post to the cut.  I then got some mending brackets to affix the two cross sides to the center post.
After we my husband made the structure of the cross, I painted them old white then dry brushed them with a light gray to put a little "wear" on them.  Then I rummaged through the junk treasures I had on hand and found four metal emblems to affix to the fronts of the crosses. 
Now that they are completed, I set them in the garden to "ferment" if you will to add some patina and get them ready for spring garden sales.  In the meantime, I saved the rest of the scrap pieces of the fence posts that remained after everything was cut.  I'm making garden signs out of those, and I'll share them this week.

Thanks so much for visiting.

P.S. Yesterday I announced the winner of the Ramsign give-away.  Marilyn Gray, you are the winner!  Please contact me at little.miss.maggie@aol.com with your email address. 

I'm partying at...


Mondays          Le Chateau des Fleurs       The Graphics Fairy    
                                      Between Naps on the Porch Metamorphosis Monday
                                      Debbie Doo's Winter Knock Off Party

Tuesdays          Knick of Time       Coastal Charm  
                                      Boogie Board Cottage    A Stroll Thru Life   
                                     Cozy Little House Tweak it Tuesday
Wednesdays     Savvy Southern Style
                                           
Thursdays        The Shabby Creek Cottage    No Minimalist Here 
                                     Between Naps on the Porch Tablescape Thursday    
                                     Rustic Restorations Homespun Happenings
Fridays            French Country Cottage       My Romantic Home        Miss Mustard Seed
                                    Potpourri Friday     Common Ground
                                    The Charm of Home    Rooted in Thyme
Saturdays        Funky Junk Interiors

Sundays           My 1928 Charmer Sunday's Best

Debbie Doos Winter Knock Off Party

11 comments:

Lynda Bergman Decorative Artisan said...

I love your new cross! You are so creative!! Lynda

Deneen@dreaming-n-color said...

I love crosses out of different architectural pieces! I did one from an old chair leg once. I love your idea.

Pendra said...

This was amazing and so creative! We just purchased a home that has no landscaping whatsoever and I need to make/get some beauties for it...this would add some grace! Can't wait to see your signs from the leftovers!
~Pendra

Anne said...

What a beautiful cross!
xx
Anne

Stacey said...

your cross is beautiful. The green plants in the background are really catching my attention. You lucky girl!

The Polka Dot Closet said...

I love it, you are one busy girl!! Garden art is so fun!

Carol

Bliss said...

I can see so many folks wanting these as pet markers Maggie. Another niche!

Bliss

karen@somewhatquirky said...

These are cute! I was already wondering what you would do with the scraps!

Rosemary@villabarnes said...

Nice job, Maggie. Great embellishments, and finish.

Vickie @ Ranger 911 said...

Your garden cross is lovely and will be even more so as it weathers. Good idea!

I used old pointed fence pickets nailed to an upright stick to make rustic wedding signs to point the way to the lodge our youngest daughter was married at. It was one of my favorite things at her wedding, and I never even took a picture!

miss flibbertigibbet said...

I am addicted to religious art and artifacts too! I love this idea! It looks just great and should weather so nicely!