At first I wasn't at all pleased with the way this tray turned out. I took a cheapy silver tray, not a fine vintage one, and decoupaged the clock face on it that I have shared with you a couple of times now. I had to piece the pattern onto it which meant I had lines showing in the pattern so I took some tissue paper, plain white, and sort of scrunched it in and decoupaged some more. The result was a disaster which shows in my first picture. Back to the drawing board for this project.
So I took the paint scraper and scraped and scraped and scraped. I lifted off the scrunchiness and was left with what looks like an old paper clock face that got wet somewhere along the line and then tore. I have actually sold real clocks that had this kind of patina. It's growing on me. Not the way I had envisioned it when I started, but sometimes you have to go with the flow and see where things go on their own. I am currently working on another tray project, this time with my homemade tissue paper. We will see what road that project wants to take me. Every project I try I consider to be a lesson. I try to learn from my mistakes and improve the next time.
I do like the finish. I have been visiting Rosemary's blog at Villabarnes a lot and decided to try the gesso. The tray was painted primer gray and then just washed with the gesso and wiped back. I took this out to the shop yesterday. If nothing else, it will be a great prop.
As an afterthought, I am adding the link to this graphic I shared a couple weeks ago. If you would like to use it, click here.