Friday, December 2, 2011

Bookworm

Back on November 8 I did a post on garlands made from book pages.  Well, at the store I sell at, Aubergine Emporium, in Simi Valley, California, the owner of the store has done a beautiful Christmas tree decorated with books.   I can't wait to show you the photos next week.  She decided the only thing missing was a bookworm.  Immediately I thought of the book garlands I had written about so I set out to make a "bookworm" for the shop's tree. 
You could use him as a garland or wind him through your tree branches.  I think he looks quite studious.  I also think he needs a name.  Anyone have any ideas?


He's quite intelligent and very well read.
To start the process of making him, I used an old Reader's Digest book, tore out the pages and cut them in half cross-wise.  I used picture hanging wire to string the pages.  I started with a metal button and ran the wire through the button holes.  See two pictures down.  I made it the approximate length I wanted the bookworm to be.  I took my half pages and stapled them as you see in the next photo.
After I had made a whole bunch (A WHOLE BUNCH) I strung the stapled sheets on to the wire.  When I got to the length I wanted it to be, I took a pen and coiled the wire around it to make a corkscrew nose.  This also secured the wire so the pages would not slip off.  I went to the local craft store and bought some eyeglasses for dolls and then used buttons for the eyes.  Those I glue gunned on to his face after placing the glasses so I would know where to place the eyes.  For a more holiday look, you could spot glitter the tips of his pages with silver glitter.  He came out so cute, I want to give him a hug.


Funky Junk's Sat Nite Special





No comments: