HomeTutorialsHand PaintedTablescapes

Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Clock Face Tray

At first I wasn't at all pleased with the way this tray turned out.  I took a cheapy silver tray, not a fine vintage one, and decoupaged the clock face on it that I have shared with you a couple of times now.  I had to piece the pattern onto it which meant I had lines showing in the pattern so I took some tissue paper, plain white, and sort of scrunched it in and decoupaged some more.  The result was a disaster which shows in my first picture.  Back to the drawing board for this project. 

So I took the paint scraper and scraped and scraped and scraped.  I lifted off the scrunchiness and was left with what looks like an old paper clock face that got wet somewhere along the line and then tore.  I have actually sold real clocks that had this kind of patina.  It's growing on me.  Not the way I had envisioned it when I started, but sometimes you have to go with the flow and see where things go on their own.  I am currently working on another tray project, this time with my homemade tissue paper.  We will see what road that project wants to take me.  Every project I try I consider to be a lesson.  I try to learn from my mistakes and improve the next time. 
I do like the finish.  I have been visiting Rosemary's blog at Villabarnes a lot and decided to try the gesso.  The tray was painted primer gray and then just washed with the gesso and wiped back.  I took this out to the shop yesterday.  If nothing else, it will be a great prop.
As an afterthought, I am adding the link to this graphic I shared a couple weeks ago.  If you would like to use it, click here.

Pin It

>



shabby creek cottage

4 comments:

Gypsy Heart said...

I like it Maggie! Looks old and worn. Perhaps that was the finish it wanted??? :-)

xo
Pat

eleven-o-one said...

I love it! I have saved a copy of the clock face so I can use it on a CD. It looks great on a silver tray.
Fran

Bliss said...

Hmmm.... I have not modge-podged lately and have gesso on my shopping list. So many processes to try out....

~Bliss~

Barbara Jean said...

Thank you.... again. =)

I think it turned out quite nice.
And I LOVE Rosemary's site too.
Keep hoping I can get around to trying some of her techniques too.

blessings
barbara jean