HomeTutorialsHand PaintedTablescapes

Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Guest Retreat

Last year was a crazy year which left little room in my schedule for blogging.  Our youngest daughter bought a place of her own which meant decorating and shopping to get her settled.  I'll be doing a blog post on her cute little townhouse very soon.  Her moving out meant that the room she inhabited for a very long long time needed a desperate redo.  This also took up a big part of the end of my year, but finally I am ready to share the results.
Her room was a generic white which she liked, but I was ready for some subtle color.  I chose a greige color from Dunn Edwards for the walls.  The bedding was stock bedding from Bed, Bath and Beyond.  Everything needed to be washable and pretty well indestructible as we know our grandson will be using this room when he visits.  However, I didn't want to do a child's room because he is only here around three times a year.
The closet doors are floor to ceiling and 12 feet across.  We replaced the cracked mirrored doors with paneled doors to blend with the rest of the house.
I found these two Home Goods style side tables at the flea market.  They don't match, but I like it better that way.  The pair came to $60.  I couldn't pass them up.
They were perfect for the room.  The lamps came from Home Goods.  Nothing fancy about them, but I like that they are plain and tailored.
This pillow was a find at Bed, Bath and Beyond.  It's perfect for this guest retreat.  In looking at this photo, I just noticed the pillow shams behind my dreamer pillow are different.  I find that rather odd, but I like it just the same.
A traditional magazine rack holds clean towels and wash cloths and a few of my favorite books for perusing.
I found this Hotel de Paris sign at the flea market, and these great photographs of old Paris hotels look like they are matted,but they are not.  They hang between two pieces of clear glass and the wall behind shows through.
This sweet little chair came from a yard sale.  I've had it for years and finally had it recovered with plain drop cloth fabric.  The script pillow is the finishing touch.
This is our daughter's Ikea bed that she left behind.  It was pine and I wanted to add more pizazz to the room with the black accents.  My husband wasn't crazy about having painted furniture in the house but now I think he likes how clean and fresh the room is.
I am kind of making this room a reminder of last year's fabulous trip to France that I took with my girlfriend.  She knew I was doing this room in black and white so she made me this wreath for Christmas as a reminder of our incredible vacation.  Isn't it darling?  I'm going to hang an antique French mirror above the chair and have this swagging the front of it.  

Thanks for taking the tour of our new guest retreat.


I may be partying at...


Wednesdays     Savvy Southern Style   Ivy and Elephants
                                           

Fridays            French Country Cottage       My Romantic Home 

9 comments:

Lynda Bergman Decorative Artisan said...

Very, very nice. I love the colors! Hope you get to visit Paris again, soon :)

The Speckled Hen Cottage said...

Yes, that wreath is fantastic ~ even better coming from a travel companion. This room is so put together, inviting and comforting and your grandson will feel quite the young gentleman sleeping here! I like the idea of guests having bath towels and cloths readily available~very thoughtful.

Susie said...

Maggie, great new make over. I don't know about your grandson, but I would like staying there. :):) I really think the wreath is adorable. Can't wait to see how your daughter's new place will look. Blessings, xoxo,Susie

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

Very pretty, Maggie, and a room that looks very comfortable to stay in. Love the wall color and I love the black bed with it.

The Polka Dot Closet said...

Wow! This is a very cool Paris look, so rich, I love that paint color. I can see how busy you were, a room done this well takes a long time to put together!

Carol

Kirby Carespodi said...

It looks awesome! Very sophisticated and understated.

Mary Lindsay said...

The room looks so inviting and welcoming, the kind of room you could just close the door, retreat & charge your batteries. Just lovely.

Vickie @ Ranger 911 said...

Your guest room is beautiful and elegant, Maggie! I'd certainly feel pampered staying there! I like the colors, bedding, and furniture you've filled the room with, and the feathery wreath will be the perfect accent to a mirror! Thanks for sharing your tour. :o)
Vickie

Deneen@dreaming-n-color said...

I love the change. The wreath is perfec . I know what you mean about little time. Trying to do better with mine.