I found this little lingerie chest at the flea market. It's not old at all. I liked the size, but the drawers were wood grained and the rest was black. I found this new toile image I wanted to try out and this seemed like the perfect piece to try it on. I learned a lesson on this piece. The finish was extremely slick and although I sanded it down and give it a coat of chalk paint, the finish was still too slippery and when I went to do my reverse mod podge transfer that I usually do, the image pretty much slid off. This was a first for me. So I simply decopaged the image on in the normal way. I like doing the reverse mod podge better because I get more of a hand painted feel.
I found several rolls of wallpaper border at a garage sale that had this wonderful French style relief on it. The size was perfect for these petite dresser drawers. I followed the directions on the package by wetting the wallpaper border and applying them to the fronts of the drawers but I found the paper lifting. I'm convinced the original finish on the drawer fronts was too slippery as well. Tacky glue came to my rescue and the paper is very secure now.
I painted over the paper which is what the directions called for as well and it blends beautifully with the rest of the piece.
I did a little sanding to distress the piece when it was done. The original color was black and in case any of my paint chips off it will just blend with the already distressed finish. The hardware also got painted to tie in with the look.
Here is the piece as I found it. I took the first drawer out and started painting and then remembered I needed to take a before photo.
Thanks for visiting.
I may be partying at...
Fridays French Country Cottage My Romantic Home Miss Mustard Seed