HomeTutorialsHand PaintedTablescapes

Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Little Red Desk

I actually did this desk right before we went on vacation, but I'm just now getting around to doing a post on it.  I have used this wreath applique on red shutters before with a very dark stain and I liked the effect much better than the way the desk came out, but be that as it may, it is ready to go.  It's a simple drop leaf desk painted with Colonial Red by American Accents with an applique applied to the front of the desk to spruce it up a bit.  Then I applied special walnut stain.  For some reason the paint this time around was a little too shiny and my stain did not darken well which would have given it a more old world feel.

 To give the desk a little contrast, I had my husband paint the inside with Heirloom White also by American Accents.  It's a simple makeover, and now is the time to sell desks as the school year is starting so off to the shop it goes.
Just to add a post script, I have finally taken myself to the doctor like a big girl and have been diagnosed with whooping cough.  Apparently the illness is not as severe in adults because we all get vaccinated as children and if we contract the illness later in life the outcome is more mild.  All I can say is this "mild" case of whooping cough has certainly whooped me.  I am now on antibiotics to conquer this beast once and for all, and I am expecting a speedy full recovery in a matter of days.  Cough syrup should keep the residual cough at bay.  Thank you to everyone who emailed me.  The good news is that since I have felt so under the weather, I have only left the house minimally since we came home so I have basically kept my exposure to the outside world to a minimum.  Thanks to you all who wished me a speedy recovery!

I'm partying at...


Mondays          Le Chateau des Fleurs       The Graphics Fairy    
                                      Between Naps on the Porch Metamorphosis Monday
Tuesdays          Knick of Time       Tutus and Tea Parties       Coastal Charm  
                                      Boogie Board Cottage    A Stroll Thru Life   
                                     Cozy Little House Tweak it Tuesday
Wednesdays     Savvy Southern Style         Ivy and Elephants
                                     Faded Charm Cottage       Fine Craft Guild      
Thursdays        Embracing Change     The Shabby Creek Cottage    No Minimalist Here 
                                     Between Naps on the Porch Tablescape Thursday    Fishtail Cottage
                                     Rustic Restorations Homespun Happenings
Fridays            French Country Cottage       My Romantic Home        Miss Mustard Seed
                                    At the Picket Fence     Potpourri Friday     Common Ground
                                    The Charm of Home    Decorating Insanity   Rooted in Thyme
Saturdays        Funky Junk Interiors

Sundays           My 1928 Charmer Sunday's Best


13 comments:

NanaDiana said...

Whooping cough is nothing to fool around with. I am so glad that you finally went to the doctor and got diagnosed.

Love your red desk-the wreath really does add a lot- xo Diana

Dee ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ said...

Maggie,

Oh my! I'm so glad you went to the doctor. I love the red desk and the added wreath.

Feel better soon :)

xo,
Dee

Anne said...

Maggie,
Oh no so sorry to hear you contracted this.Hope you are feeling better soon! My daughter is just getting over strep throat.Lots of things going around right now!
Your desk turned out wonderful!
xx
Anne

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

Hope you are feeling better soon, Maggie! It's a good thing you went to the doctor. Love the desk and I love how you did the inside with the Heirloom White. The contrast looks wonderful.

Donna said...

I'm glad you finally went to the dr, Maggie! When we lived in Washington, there was alot of talk about whopping cough being an epidemic. I don't know if it is here in the Midwest or not, I sure hope it isn't! Hope you feel better very soon! Love your desk, the applique is perfect!

Pat C. said...

Oh, no, poor Maggie!!:((( I am so sorry about how serious your "cold" was! Who would have ever thought of whooping cough?? A million, trillion (((hugs))) and best wishes for a rapid response to the antibiotics.

Red is my favorite color, so I just *****love***** your desk! The wreath applique adds such a sweet touch, and the antique white interior provides the perfect contrast to the bright red.: )))))

Now, no more blogging (or anything) until at least the beginning of next week! Please!

xoxo

miss flibbertigibbet said...

Hope you're feeling much better. The desk is darling...it will go fast, I'm sure!

Cynthia said...

I klove this desk. The wreath you added makes such a statment I love it!!! Great job.

Cynthia

Vickie @ Ranger 911 said...

Darling red desk! I'm sure it will go fast this time of year. I'd like to try that wreath applique on a piece of furniture. It really dresses it up.

Glad you're on the road to recovery!

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

Love how you added the wreath and painted the inside with the old white. Hope you start feeling better soon.

Blessings,
Linda

MONICA LIVAS said...

Stunning desk!Beautiful color and wreath applique!Hope you feeling better.

Warmly,
Monica.

Debbie-Dabble Blog and A Debbie-Dabble Christmas said...

O My!

In all my years of being an RN, I have never come across anyone who actually had Whooping Cough!
Take Care and get better!
Love the desk!

Hugs,
Deb

Gypsy Heart said...

Love the color of the desk...and the inside is beautiful! Hope you're feeling much better...that is not an easy illness to deal with. Hope you take good care!

xo
Pat