HomeTutorialsHand PaintedTablescapes

Thursday, November 17, 2011

Vintage Dresser Dressed in Annie Sloan Chalk Paint

I picked up this very cute dresser at a neighborhood sale.  She had no hardware and the paint job was BAD.  Never sanded and very gloppy paint.  I didn't want to let my husband tackle this project because he does everything too perfect so I decided to tackle the project and meet the job somewhere in the middle.
 I purchased wooden knobs from the local hardware store.  Very inexpensive fix.  I decided to do something funky with my Annie Sloan Chalk Paint.  I lightly sanded the original paint and then painted anywhere I wanted a little color so it would show through.  This dresser would be great with many decors including a child's room or especially a nursery.  I selected an aqua blue I found at the salvage yard in their paint section.

 I painted the entire dresser then in Annie Sloan's Old White. 
 I hope the photo shows it on my blog, but the reason it is called chalk paint is because when you sand it, it literally turns to chalk.  I sanded in a circular motion with fine grit sandpaper because I wanted this to have an "original paint" look with the blue showing through the white.

When I distressed it to the look I wanted, I sealed it with Annie Sloan Clear Wax.  A note about the wax and the brush you see.  You need to purchase a good wax brush.  I purchased two brushes.  One is for clear wax and one is for dark wax.  I labeled each brush with permanent marker so they will never be confused.  In other words, sometimes I get help with my projects and I didn't want there to be any confusion.  I recommend you use gloves to wax.
 Only wax about a 12 by 12 inch section at a time.  On the drawers I did about a third of the drawer and then moved on.  Take a soft cloth (I like old towels cut into small pieces) and rub the wax until it feels smooth.  I don't mean rub it until your arm hurts.  A little pressure usually does the trick.  I rub it back and forth until it is smooth, then I proceed to the next section.  When it is all completed, I take the rag and kind of buff it manually in a circular motion.  This blends all the sections together if they are not already blended.  NEVER us a mechanical buffer.  I have not done this because they were very emphatic in the workshop that if we did so, it would make the wax ball up.  Not a good thing.  Don't forget to wax your knobs if you are using wooden knobs like I did.  One other word about a waxed finish.  Unless you repaint with ASCP paint, you cannot repaint with regular paint.  It will not adhere to the wax.
Here is the final product.  Kind of funky, but I think I like it.  If you enjoy my tutorials, please become a follower.  Thanks for visiting.

No comments: