HomeTutorialsHand PaintedTablescapes

Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Chateau de Chantilly

A couple of weeks ago I saw a dresser that was posted by A Bit O' Whimsy.com.  If I remember correctly, she called it verdigris.  At the time of her first post, she didn't give a tutorial, but I loved her finish and tried to duplicate the look.  Then I realized she later did a tutorial on May 25 if you care to take a look.  This is my version and although it is not perfect, I absolutely love it.  You can bet I am going to try to do this again until I do get it right.  Now, of course, I have some tips from her tutorial to guide me along better.
 I started out with a very weathered cabinet door that had flaking varnish.  I love my projects to look aged so I didn't even sand it.  I painted it with my Valspar "So Cool" paint.  I purchased my paint at Do-It Center, but I am sure Lowe's probably has it too because they carry Valspar.  If you cannot get that color, just use a pretty aqua colored paint.  I purchased my appliques from The Bella Cottage click here for their website.  FYI, during the month of May, all of their appliques are 25% off.  Notice I'm using a different set of appliques than I usually do and I absolutely love them.

 After applying the appliques with epoxy glue and painting the cabinet door, I went in and dry brushed the appliques with Folk Art Warm White.  Then I used gesso over the whole project.  At this point I realized A Bit O' Whimsy did a tutorial on her method (which I'm so grateful for)  and I had a little guidance on how to proceed.  I went back with a watery brush and dabbed on Folk Art Hauser Green Light.  This is a fabulous green that mimics the color of moss.  After that was done, I used a copper leafing pen and ran it along the molding of the cabinet door to give the project a little definition.  I also went over the applique in spots to make it look like copper.  Notice I didn't get the aqua paint in all the nooks and crannies of the applique.  I left a little brown in there.
Next I took my French script stencils (3 inch) that I purchased on EBay from Stencils by Joanie and stenciled in my text with the warm white paint.  I filled in the gaps with my liner brush to make it look like real handwriting.  Then I did a little shading on the right side of each letter with Delta Cremacoat Stonewedge Green.  I still haven't sanded the project yet because it is naturally flaking and is really getting a patina'd look.  My last step was taking some glazing medium (I used Americana which can be found at your local craft store with the craft acrylic paints) that I mixed with Folk Art Metallic Solid Bronze.  I didn't use copper because I didn't have any on hand.  I mixed it up and went over the whole piece.  There is one spot that it didn't stick and I'm not sure why, but I am still happy with the outcome.  At this point I could have gone over it with some dark stain, but I think I'll leave well enough alone on this project and experiment again with a new board (and maybe a new applique too).
 Now be sure to put a clear coat of some sort to seal in all your hard work if you decide to try this.
 Thanks for visiting and I hope I have inspired you to try this technique.  I LOVE the look.  Thank you, A Bit O' Whimsy for your inspiration!!


I'm partying at...


Mondays          Le Chateau des Fleurs        The Graphics Fairy     Metamorphosis Monday
Tuesdays          Knick of Time       Tutus and Tea Parties       Coastal Charm  
                                      Boogie Board Cottage    A Stroll Thru Life
Wednesdays     Savvy Southern Style         Ivy and Elephants        Faded Charm Cottage            
                                     Fine Craft Guild      
Thursdays        Embracing Change     The Shabby Creek Cottage    No Minimalist Here 
                                     Between Naps on the Porch Tablescape Thursday    Fishtail Cottage
                                     Rustic Restorations Homespun Happenings
Fridays            French Country Cottage       My Romantic Home        Miss Mustard Seed
                                    At the Picket Fence     Potpourri Friday     Common Ground
                                    The Charm of Home    Decorating Insanity      Rooted in Thyme
Saturdays        Funky Junk Interiors

Sundays           It's Overflowing

22 comments:

Confessions of a Plate Addict said...

Lovely, Maggie! Love all the layers of color! And, of course, I love that it is so frenchy! :-) Happy week!...hugs...Debbie

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

Oh my gosh, Maggie, I love this! Thanks for the link on the appliques. I'm getting tired of the limited selections at Hobby Lobby and Michaels. Love the paint techniques you did and that stencil is fabulous. It really looks handpainted on. Great job!

Donna said...

Wow! Your piece is just stunning! That applique is gorgeous, and I really love all of the texture and dimension you gave with those wonderful colors. Oh, and the shadow effect you gave your stencil is neat, too! Hubby and I were lucky to be able to visit Chateau de Chantilly 2 years ago. We still talk about the fresh fruit covered in Chantilly cream, that we had for dessert! It was pure decadence!!

Geneva said...

Oh WOW! You did a beautiful job with that verdigris finish and your tutorial is so helpful. Your piece looks like something out of a lovely french boutique. Good Job...!
Blessings!
Geneva

karen@somewhatquirky said...

Very pretty Maggie! Love the copper accent.

Shabby Gr8 Dane said...

Maggie, you are ever so creative and always so giving by sharing with your blog friends! I believe that you
are a truly blessed woman, as you are always giving. I know that I am continually inspired by your projects. Thank you.

kathee said...

Beautiful as always Maggie! Thanks for sharing all the tips including where to purchase things! See you soon girl :)
xok

NanaDiana said...

Maggie! You outdid yourself this time, girl. Holy Cow! What a wonderful looking piece! It looks like an antique that has HISTORY! Love it- xo Diana

Rosemary@villabarnes said...

The more layers the better. It's beautiful.

Artsy VaVa said...

You did a fantastic job! I love the sign!!!

Stan and Jody Gabara said...

I just found your blog and love it. Your piece turned out so pretty and I love the technique you used. Thanks for the inspiration. New Follower.



Jody

stefanie said...

oh!!!! it sooooo gorgeous!

Barbara Jean said...

love love love it!!

thanks sweetie, for how to's, and for link to more how to's. =)

blessings
barb

PS how did you put pin it thingy on your blog. I want to do that too. =)

Barbara Jean said...

ooops
pin it thingy not working....is it supposed to just click and pin??

b

Dee ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ said...

Maggie,

Your applique is lovely. I love how you added all the pretty layers of paint. Super idea to add the stencil. It's all so beautiful!

Dee

Cynthia said...

I love this piece. I use appliques a lot in designing furniture. I think they add so much to a piece.

I love all the layers of paint on yours so much character.

Found you on Rooted in Thyme

Cynthia

Cynthia said...

Following via Linky now.

Cynthia

Debbie-Dabble Blog and A Debbie-Dabble Christmas said...

What a great finish and I adore the look!!

Great job!

Hugs,
Debbie

Cynthia said...

Saw you on My Romantic homr and this is very romantic.

Cynthia

Sparkle and Co said...

Oh Mon Dieu, I really love it! I wish I could make that too... I'm a new follower from le chateau des fleurs' linky ;)

Stan and Jody Gabara said...

Maggie, Thanks so much for sharing this post.Congrats! I really wanted to let you know that this post was second highest viewed on Simple & Sweet Fridays. Feel free to stop by for a featured button. Have a fun week!

Jody

Vickie @ Ranger 911 said...

It seems I'm being directed to your blog everywhere I turn, so I'm now your newest follower. I love this project! Your sign truly has the look of a wonderfully aged piece. You have quite an eye for repurposing!