HomeTutorialsHand PaintedTablescapes

Friday, May 17, 2013

Vintage Steamer Trunk

This may be my favorite makeover project to date.  I found this trunk last weekend at a yard sale.  There were actually two of them and I feel like a huge ditz for leaving the second one behind.  It did have a hole in the bottom of it which could have been repaired, but I didn't want to bother with it.  It was $2.  How could I have done that?
This trunk is probably from the 80's.  It's not a metal trunk.  The outer skin is thin wood with a paper covering and the straps are plastic, but nonetheless, this is a great decorating piece.
I painted the outer skin of the trunk with Annie Sloan Graphite.  When I took the Annie Sloan workshop a couple of years ago, they assured me that the paint would stick to anything and it's sticking fine to this trunk.  After the initial paint application, I used two different Maison de Stencil stencils and then used a striping stencil to place the stripes.  To visit the Maison de Stencil website click here.
The gold paint I use is by Modern Masters and it works the best of all the gold paints I have found.  I went back in with a wash of burnt umber over the gold to antique the lettering a little bit.
When all the painting was done, I applied a clear wax.  I applied the wax to the plastic straps and the edging.
I stenciled all the sides and the top of the trunk in case someone wants to use it as a coffee table.
Here is the before photo of how this piece looked when I purchased it.  I'd say it underwent a total transformation.
Thanks so much for your visits.
I may be partying at...


Mondays          Le Chateau des Fleurs       The Graphics Fairy    
                                      Between Naps on the Porch Metamorphosis Monday
      
Tuesdays          Knick of Time       Coastal Charm  
                                      Boogie Board Cottage    A Stroll Thru Life   
                                     Cozy Little House Tweak it Tuesday
Wednesdays     Savvy Southern Style
                                           
Thursdays        The Shabby Creek Cottage    No Minimalist Here 
                                     Between Naps on the Porch Tablescape Thursday    
                                     Rustic Restorations Homespun Happenings
Fridays            French Country Cottage       My Romantic Home        Miss Mustard Seed
                                    Potpourri Friday     Common Ground
                                    The Charm of Home    Rooted in Thyme
Saturdays        Funky Junk Interiors

Sundays           


17 comments:

Linda at French Hollow said...

Wow, Maggie - that is gorgeous. You've done a beautiful job, as usual.

Blessings,
Linda

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

This is just gorgeous, Maggie! I think it is my current favorite of all your projects, too. I love al the stencils you used, as well as the colors. The gold really brings it up a notch, too. Great job!

miss flibbertigibbet said...

Maggie that is STUNNING!! Yes, you were crazy to leave the other one...$2??? You could have used it to store stencils and it would have been a bargain! LOL....regrets...c'est la vie!

Karina Russell said...

This is the best makeover I've seen on a trunk. It's gorgeous!

The Polka Dot Closet said...

MAGGIE!!!! This is AMazing!!! I love the gold and black, I have two trunks/wood boxes and I am so going to copy you!!!!!! I love it! PS: send this to Masters!

Carol

Deneen@dreaming-n-color said...

You outdid yourself on this one Maggie! It is perfect!

Susie said...

Maggie, I am sure the after is why you wish you had bought both trunks. Beautiful. I think if it were lined with platic it would be a gorgeous planter.xoxo,Susie

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Oh my, what a fabulous redo. I love it. Such a wonderful piece. Thanks also for linking to Inspire Me. Hugs, Marty

Vickie @ Ranger 911 said...

You took the words right out of my mouth. As soon as I saw the thumbnail photo on my blogroll, I thought to myself, "This is my favorite piece you've transformed!" You have such a good eye for design. I love the colors, too!

Betsy@My Salvaged Treasures said...

I love it! The gold stenciling is a perfect contrast with the black paint. Love Maison de Stencils!

Cozy Thyme Cottage said...

Your trunk turned out beautiful! I wish I had some of you bloggers talents! Nancy

Danni@SiloHillFarm said...

Maggie that is so gorgeous! I have a question..(I've never painted furniture)...When you went back over the lettering with the umber...did you put the stencil back over it?

Unknown said...

Oh, I love it! Thank you for sharing your wonderful transformation and sparking project ideas to add to my list. :-) So much to do, so little time....
His blessings!
Kim @ Curtain Queen

Tammy @ A Walk in the Countryside said...

Great job! It turned out beautiful!

karen@somewhatquirky said...

Nice job Miss Maggie! It is a fabulous transformation.

Unknown said...

Two pins in one day of your lovely creations! Thanks for sharing, Patti

Unknown said...

Love this makeover, I can see why it's one of your favorites. It looks amazing!! Well done!