HomeTutorialsHand PaintedTablescapes

Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Faux Etched Window

I'm really excited to share this project with you today because I have been wanting to do an etched window project for months.  What kept me from doing it was how to get the look of these windows if I couldn't use stencils to accomplish it and I feared an etching solution would ruin any stencil I tried to use.
So last week while I was making one of my five trips to Joann's to find things to complete my French chair project, I actually found a sales person who had some knowledge of the products they carried.  I asked for an etching solution, and the woman walked me right over to the Martha Stewart section.
Leave it to Martha to come up with this great product.  It's called Etch Effects.  You can use it with regular stencils and it will not hurt the stencils as long as you wash it off before it dries.
I already had found three windows at the salvage yard and I was ready to try to transform a clear glass window into a work of art which I did with the help of my Maison De Stencils.  They fit great inside the window sash and all I had to do was dab on the Etch Effect from the wrong side.  I let it dry and voila, I had my etched glass.  Now I'm sure if I took a razor blade to the etching it would come off, but I bet it would take some work.  I'm sure I can clean the windows without damaging the design.  So there you have it.  What will they think of next?
One of my windows is very wide so I used painters tape and scotch tape to do some striping.  I'm thrilled with the results too.  By the way, I am not compensated in any way by Maison de Stencils for promoting their products.  I just truly love how beautiful they are and how easy they are to use.  I've created some wonderful projects with their help.  Their link is on my side bar so please pay them a visit.  I know you will love their stencils as much as I do.

Thanks so much for your visit.
I may be partying at...


Mondays          Le Chateau des Fleurs       The Graphics Fairy    
                                      Between Naps on the Porch Metamorphosis Monday
  
Tuesdays          Knick of Time       Coastal Charm  
                                      Boogie Board Cottage    A Stroll Thru Life   
                                     Cozy Little House Tweak it Tuesday
Wednesdays     Savvy Southern Style
                                           
Thursdays        The Shabby Creek Cottage    No Minimalist Here 
                                     Between Naps on the Porch Tablescape Thursday    
                                     Rustic Restorations Homespun Happenings
Fridays            French Country Cottage       My Romantic Home        Miss Mustard Seed
                                    Potpourri Friday     Common Ground
                                    The Charm of Home    Rooted in Thyme
Saturdays        Funky Junk Interiors

Sundays           


21 comments:

karen@somewhatquirky said...

Maggie these are wonderful! I want to do this too!

Vickie @ Ranger 911 said...

Love, love, love your windows! I've got an old cabinet door with beveled glass that's waiting for just this treatment. Did you do a cupboard with an etched glass door a while back? I have something pinned that I thought you created. Anyway, fabulous transformations!

Mary@mydogsmygardenandmary said...

Maggie,I love your windows. They really look great. One of these days I am going to drive up to Simi Valley and see your store. I live in Orange County. Would make a nice day trip.
Many thanks for sharing your post.
Hugs
Mary

Cozy Thyme Cottage said...

Hi Maggie, That window looks wonderful! Gone from plain to something outstanding! Nancy

The Polka Dot Closet said...

Maggie, that is absolutely fabulous!!! I bet these will fly out of your booth!! Let us know!

Carol

NanaDiana said...

Hi Maggie- Finally got a computer back!!! Your windows are WONDERFUL. I love them! xo Diana

Shabby Brocante, Karen said...

Maggie you are amazing! I used a stencil to do snowflakes on a votive candle holder! HA HA...boy you take it up a few levels! AMAZING! Love the stencil used. Looks wonderful!
Karen

srpprcrftr said...

Your windows look so incredible, chic boutique great. Love them. I took a look last week at Maison deStencils. Wow what stencils. I'm happy to hear about so many crafters using stencils again. Stencils have been much improved. Martha has her own line of very nice ones also.
I have a Delta white frost etching kit unopened. It's been around the country since I bought it as I think we moved at least twice since I bought it. Think I'll use it to try this before I buy more etching solution. Your windows look so professionally done, gorgeous.
Oh for the old wood windows I had to leave in KY when we left. Kills me. I'll have to see if I can find a source here in Grand Junction area.
Always love what you do Maggie, love your blog.

Unknown said...

I like your window!

Unknown said...

I HAVE to try this- these are just gorgeous Maggie - thanks SO much for sharing!
Hugs,
Suzan

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

Just beautiful, Maggie! They turned out great. Good to know that the etching product won't hurt the stencils.

Mammabellarte Rita Reade said...

Maggie well done! I always wanted to try this process but I am afraid....Love the result. Ciao

Bliss said...

Sure is simpler than the old way of sand blasting.

Biss

Ivy and Elephants said...

The windows are simply gorgeous! You do such amazing things. Love it!
Hugs,
Patti

Deneen@dreaming-n-color said...

This has to be one of my favorite projects! I can't wait to see the stencils! Great job Maggie!

Botanic Bleu said...

Absolutely just what I have been wondering how to do... We are installing a new interior door with a full glass panel, and it needs something on it for safety reasons. You know, so someone doesn't try to walk right through it.

I am going right over to your sidebar to look for the stencil site.

Judith

Nita Stacy said...

Wow! How interesting. I can't wait to try this.

Amy Chalmers said...

Found you on Pinterst via Nita Stacy. Love love love your ideas and projects~so inspiring! I added you to my blogroll so hopefully I don't miss anything you do.

Stampin' VMG206 said...

This is so pretty! I've seen that MS stuff but haven't taken the plunge yet...
I'm visiting you today from Common Ground. I co-host a Linky Party Tuesday (open thru Sat) and I'd love for you to link up! I hope you get a chance to stop by, link up and leave a comment, too!
~ Megin of VMG206
Join me each Tuesday for Brag About It Link Up Party

Danni@SiloHillFarm said...

Love this project Maggie! I'm also impressed with the fact that you found a knowledgeable sales person at Joann's. Sometimes that's hard to do unless I go on a weekday.

Unknown said...

beautiful work Maggie.....

Glass Door Repairs Western suburbs melbourne