HomeTutorialsHand PaintedTablescapes

Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Getting Framed

We are back from visiting our daughter in Northern California and lest you think I was just goofing off the whole week, my husband and I painted every room in the happy couple's new (90 year old) home except for the kitchen and bathroom.  I also helped with some yard clearance and helped them pick out the baby's crib, purchased some baby clothes (what first time expectant grandmother wouldn't?) and also selected baby's first toy elephant to go with the circus themed nursery.  Whew!!!   I need a vacation from my vacation,  But baby's room is coming along beautifully and will definitely be ready for its debut.  I have to call it baby because my daughter and son-in-law do not want to know if it's a boy or girl until the big moment.

So on with my post for today which was ready before I left, but, really, who had time to upload the photos with all the fun and games?  I found two frames while shopping the yard sales a couple of weeks ago.  One was heavily gold leafed.  I almost felt guilty painting over it, but I just didn't feel I could sell it the way it was.

The first thing I did was ditch the linen liners that were badly yellowed with age.  The outer frame was the gold one, the inner frame was scratched up high gloss wood toned.
 I painted the gold frame with old white and the wood frame with graphite, both Annie Sloan paints.  The white frame was too chalky looking so I toned it down with some Delta champagne gold which comes in a big pot.  It's a cross between silver and gold so maybe a platinum?
 Then I took dark wax and rubbed it into the crevices and buffed it out.  Added a little clear wax and did the same.  For the graphite painted frame, I rubbed on the clear wax and then used gold Rub n' Buff on the beautiful details.
 I love the transformation of both frames, and the new paint colors really reveal the gorgeous details.  What was old is new again.  Well, sort of.

I may be partying at...


Mondays          Le Chateau des Fleurs       The Graphics Fairy    
                                      Between Naps on the Porch Metamorphosis Monday
                         
Tuesdays          Knick of Time       Coastal Charm  
                                      Boogie Board Cottage    A Stroll Thru Life   
                                     Cozy Little House Tweak it Tuesday
Wednesdays     Savvy Southern Style
                                           
Thursdays        The Shabby Creek Cottage    No Minimalist Here 
                                     Between Naps on the Porch Tablescape Thursday    
                                     Rustic Restorations Homespun Happenings
Fridays            French Country Cottage       My Romantic Home        Miss Mustard Seed
                                    Potpourri Friday     Common Ground
                                    The Charm of Home    Rooted in Thyme
Saturdays        Funky Junk Interiors

Sundays           


10 comments:

Art and Sand said...

I love the color of the frame.

How fun the be in the waiting stages for a grandchild. Hopefully that will happen to me someday.

Inmaculada said...

Que maravillosos marco, me encanta como lo as dejado.
besos.

miss flibbertigibbet said...

What a wonderful time you had! All my grand kids are older now but I remember all that excitement and anticipation! It's wonderful that your daughter is close enough to visit too! The frame is MUCH improved!

Lynda Bergman Decorative Artisan said...

So, how much weight did you lose with alllll of that exercise? Love your frame. The black is such a nice touch. Lynda

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

They are both beautiful frames, Maggie! Such great detail! How exciting for your family waiting for this new little addition. I'll bet your daughter and son-in-law are so thankful all that painting is done.

NanaDiana said...

That sounds like a working vacation to me, Maggie- but the best kind really! That frame turned out great, too! xo Diana

Annette T. said...

Maggie, I know your daughter must have been so happy to get those rooms painted. The baby's room sounds like it's going to be so cute. Great theme. I just love how a new coat of paint can give old objects a new purpose! You are amazing, Annette

Bliss said...

Frame is nice, but nothing is ever going to compare to being a gramma!

Bliss

Vickie @ Ranger 911 said...

You have been BUSY!!! I bet your daughter's house is looking wonderful. I hope you share photos of the nursery. It sounds adorable!

karen@somewhatquirky said...

Can't wait for that baby! Nice job on the frames.