HomeTutorialsHand PaintedTablescapes

Friday, September 28, 2012

Canterbury Bookcase

I've been told this is a Canterbury Bookcase, but I only found one image that confirms this.  At first I thought it was for plants. It looks almost like a small crib, but it's not.  Anyway, I love the green and the cane and the whole look of it.  I attached my Halloween banner and took it to the shop.

It's pretty deep and very French.
I'm not even sure how old this piece is, but I suspect it's probably from the 1960's or earlier.  If anyone knows more about this type of furniture, please let me know.  Thanks.
Pin It
I'm partying at...


Mondays          Le Chateau des Fleurs       The Graphics Fairy    
                                      Between Naps on the Porch Metamorphosis Monday
Tuesdays          Knick of Time       Tutus and Tea Parties       Coastal Charm  
                                      Boogie Board Cottage    A Stroll Thru Life   
                                     Cozy Little House Tweak it Tuesday
Wednesdays     Savvy Southern Style         Ivy and Elephants
                                     Faded Charm Cottage       Fine Craft Guild      
Thursdays        Embracing Change     The Shabby Creek Cottage    No Minimalist Here 
                                     Between Naps on the Porch Tablescape Thursday    Fishtail Cottage
                                     Rustic Restorations Homespun Happenings
Fridays            French Country Cottage       My Romantic Home        Miss Mustard Seed
                                    At the Picket Fence     Potpourri Friday     Common Ground
                                    The Charm of Home    Decorating Insanity   Rooted in Thyme
Saturdays        Funky Junk Interiors

Sundays           My 1928 Charmer Sunday's Best


12 comments:

Cynthia said...

This piece is stunning. I love all the curves and the detail. Beautiful

Cynthia

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

Yes, I would have thought crib, too, Maggie! It's a beautiful piece though. I'm sure it could be used in lots of ways.

Cathy and Paul @One Creative Couple said...

This is very beautiful! I don't know anything about it but I do love it.

Cathy and Paul @One Creative Couple said...

This is very beautiful! I don't know anything about it but I do love it.

Pat C. said...

I'm not sure that it is a Canterbury. The ones I found online all had slats or spindles along at least two sides, and had vertical open dividers within the boxy compartment, like this one:
http://www.thakehamfurniture.co.uk/productdetail.asp?productid=1240&subcatid=46

... and/or a raised table surface, like this one:
http://www.antiques-atlas.com/antique/_burr_walnut_oval_antique_canterbury_/as224a226

I'm thinking it's closer to a jardiniere/planter, as you first thought.

Well, whatever it is, it certainly is stunning!

xoxo

Chrissy said...

I don't know anything about this piece either, but it sure is lovely. I could use that by my door to hold gloves, hats, and scarves for my family.
Thanks for stopping by my blog

http://rosesrhubarbandpearls.blogspot.com/

Anne said...

What a beautiful piece!
xx
Anne

Shabby Brocante, Karen said...

Not sure, but I love it. Great piece. The banner is super cute too!

White Lace and Promises said...

Little Miss Maggie, Ihave never seen one of these. Of course, you know I'd paint it white, but I do love it the color you have it for Fall decor. Sweet piece. Thanks for the education.

Shannon@ A Cozy Place Called Home said...

I am sure you would like to know the history of this piece but regardless of the name or function, it is beautiful. It looks like it could be used in a number of ways in your decorating scheme. I hope someone can tell you exactly what it is called but I am no help there.--------- Shannon

Vickie @ Ranger 911 said...

I don't know what it is either, but it's a pretty accent piece.

karen@somewhatquirky said...

Maggie, this looks like a magazine holder to me - or maybe as a planter as you mentioned. It's beautiful nonetheless.