HomeTutorialsHand PaintedTablescapes

Friday, June 1, 2012

French Settee

I wish my before pictures of this showed more detail so you could see the amazing transformation this piece went through.  I also didn't take photos during the transformation as I was in a little hot water for dragging this "thing" home.  Although I had a vision for this wonderful French piece, my husband saw one enormous job ahead of him.  As usual, he rose to the occasion and worked a miracle for me.  Ta da.....here is the finished product.  It does need a cushion made for it, but that will be someone else's job.
 I can't resist a great piece of carved furniture.  It sucks draws me in every time.
 I have no idea of the age of this settee, but by the numbers of holes in it, I would venture to say it was old and obviously had been refinished and stripped at least a couple of times.
I just wanted to make a settee or bench out of it so my husband took plywood and cut a seat to fit.
 He did leave these two little reinforcing wedges to keep the strength and integrity intact.  They will not be noticeable if and when there is a cushion made for it.
 I did purchase some soft molding from Lowe's that was pretty bendable so he could go over the gazillion nail holes from previous upholstery tacks.  Then he had to paint it to tie everything together.
 Pardon our work space.  Not a pretty sight, but some beautiful things emerge from this spot in our garage.  You can see it was missing the seat altogether and no back either.  Basically it was just a shell.  My husband elevates everything onto his work surface so he can work at a better height for his back.
 You can see why he didn't exactly have the same vision as I had and he sure is glad it's finished.  I hope you love it as much as I do.  My husband deserves a big round of applause.  I am sure he wanted to cart it out to the curb (in fact, I am positive of that or maybe some fire wood?)  Thanks for stopping by.

I'm partying at...


Mondays          Le Chateau des Fleurs        The Graphics Fairy     Metamorphosis Monday
Tuesdays          Knick of Time       Tutus and Tea Parties       Coastal Charm  
                                      Boogie Board Cottage    A Stroll Thru Life
Wednesdays     Savvy Southern Style         Ivy and Elephants        Faded Charm Cottage            
                                     Fine Craft Guild      
Thursdays        Embracing Change     The Shabby Creek Cottage    No Minimalist Here 
                                     Between Naps on the Porch Tablescape Thursday
Fridays            French Country Cottage       My Romantic Home        Miss Mustard Seed
                                    At the Picket Fence     Potpourri Friday     Common Ground
                                    The Charm of Home    Decorating Insanity
Saturdays        Funky Junk Interiors

Sundays           It's Overflowing

18 comments:

NanaDiana said...

Wow-What a terrific find! Love the paint job and he did a really good job of putting it all together for you. MyHero would have probably trashed it when I wasn't looking just to not have it haunting him. Great job! xo Diana

Judy Ann Lincicum said...

That has got to be the most feminine bench to ever set foot in blogland. Such a wonderful piece, and I'm so glad you had the vision for this piece. BIG kudos to husband for taking the time to help you with this piece. Can't wait to see the cushions.

Brenda Pruitt said...

What a beautiful piece! You've turned it into a work of art.
Brenda

Inspired by you said...

Love it! I've been in hot water too. I find that I am getting use to the temperature now. It looks great!

karen@somewhatquirky said...

maggie, this piece is lovely. Wow the carving - sigh......

kathee said...

UUGGHH...I CAN'T BELIEVE HOW MUCH TALENT YOU HAVE!!! ( and your hubby)
You two are AMAZING!!!....XOK

The Polka Dot Closet said...

Clap. clap.clap.....That is for your husband, what a gorgeous piece

Carol

The Polka Dot Closet said...

Clap. clap.clap.....That is for your husband, what a gorgeous piece

Carol

miss flibbertigibbet said...

Oh Maggie...I LOVE the carving on that settee! What a guy!When it has a cushion it will be even more gorgeous! Good thing I'm not nearby or I'd HAVE to have it!!
Blessings, Lorraine

Dee ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ said...

Hi Maggie,

Your bench is gorgeous! Your husband does beautiful work.

Dee

Miss Charming said...

Wow! So beautiful. I love all the details. Your husband did a great job. And kudos to you for having the vision. It turned out lovely.

gayle jolluck said...

would have been really beautful restored to original upholstered back and seat...perhaps in belgium linen, and finished in a antique paint finish...

Kim @ French Country Antiques said...

I'm a sucker for carved pieces, too. This is a nice example and sooo frenchy looking. Just goes to show you what a little TLC can do. Kudos to your husband.

Scribbler said...

We have all been in hot water! This one was worth it -- beautiful bones, it just took an artist's eye to see the potential. Truly a unique piece! Be extra nice to your husband ;-))

Donata @ DK's Craft Cafe said...

Fantastic, Maggie!

Connie said...

What a beautiful treasure you two have created. I love that you didn't distress but rewarded it with a lovely frenchy finish.

Rose :: Fine Craft Guild .com said...

Love all that wood carving. So beautiful. Thank you for linking it up at our party at http://www.FineCraftGuild.com (and for linking back ;-) We'll have "Featured"- projects + a whole new round of entries tomorrow, Wednesday! See you then!

Unknown said...

This is beautiful! Thanks for linking!