HomeTutorialsHand PaintedTablescapes

Thursday, December 11, 2014

Paris Apartment Dresser

This is one of my favorite finishes to put on furniture and it's so easy.  Whenever I do a piece like this, it sells very fast so I usually have one as a back up waiting to bring in.  This dresser had kind of a retro vibe so it was perfect for this finish.

To achieve this look, I use Annie Sloan's Old Ocher.  It's a dirty grayish white and it complements the gray paint I use on the trim.


Once the piece is painted, I go over the borders of the drawers and the edges around the top and whatever detail a piece has with a very dark gray.  Then I go over the gray with an antique brass paint.  Modern Master's is my favorite.  It has an old goldish tone to it.


Then I give the piece a heavy duty sanding to expose the layers of the paint.  I almost always leave my hardware in the original gold tone finish, especially if it is aged and has great patina.


I apply this old world cherub image and add some French words from my collection of stencils.  If you don't have stencils, print the words on your computer and trace them onto your piece.  The image can be decoupaged or reverse mod podged, whatever your preference.


It's okay if your lettering is not perfect.  Give it a good sanding and enjoy the vintage Paris Apartment feel that this finish exudes.

Thanks for visiting.

Fridays            French Country Cottage       My Romantic Home        Miss Mustard Seed

10 comments:

Lynda Bergman Decorative Artisan said...

Very nice! I love your distressing and the cherubs.

Felecia Cofield said...

Hi Maggie! This piece is so pretty! I can see why you need a back-up! Love all the details and the French script! Thanks for sharing! Blessings from Bama!

~ ~ Ahrisha ~ ~ said...

Such a pretty treatment. When you say you go over it with dark gray do you also rub it off as you are applying it or not? I have a little table I am looking for a finish for and I may try this. Thanks.
~ ~Ahrisha~ ~

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

What a beautiful piece, Maggie! I love the image.

Betsy@My Salvaged Treasures said...

Love this color and technique and it's no wonder why you always need a back up piece to bring in. I painted a sideboard in AS Old Ochre last month and absolutely love it. It's my new TV stand.

Celestina Marie said...

Hi Maggie, this is gorgeous and I love the color and your technique to achieving the wonderful look. I can see why they sell so fast and you need a back up piece. Love the image and the stencil. Beautiful work.
Thanks for stopping by and your kind comment. So nice to see you.
Have a great weekend.
Hugs

Connie said...

Wow! i have not visited in such a long time . . . my lose. Your make-overs are amazing. Beyond beautiful :)
Have a lovely week.
Connie xx

The Polka Dot Closet said...

I can see why it sells....What a perfect dresser!

Carol

Vickie @ Ranger 911 said...

Another gorgeous piece you've painted! I love the details you've added!

Deneen@dreaming-n-color said...

Love the look Maggie!