HomeTutorialsHand PaintedTablescapes

Saturday, May 19, 2012

Updated Frame

This past week one of my projects was to age a still life canvas I have had for sale for a very long time at my space.  It was encased in a frame that was black and gold.  The frame was lovely, however, in the current marketplace I wanted to update the look of the frame.  We sell a lot of empty frames at the shop and this one is large enough to do a whole grouping of small art inside of it.
 I simply sprayed the frame with primer gray.  It's a nice deep gray and it actually brought out the beautiful detail in the frame's design.
 Next I went over the gray with gesso and just wiped it back.  Some of you may like this look.  I have done this and left the project this way without any further steps.  However, for this frame I wanted to give it a little more dimension so I took my Jacobean Minwax stain and went over the frame once again.  The stain dissolved some of the paint revealing a little of the gold that was underneath.  I really like this aged worn look.
 I think now I can sell both the frame and the canvas print that it was attached to.
 This is how the frame started out.  Our clientele at the shop is not as traditional as this frame so an updating was definitely in order.  Thanks so much for your visit.

Pin It

I'm partying at...


Mondays          The House in the Roses       Le Chateau des Fleurs        The Graphics Fairy
                                      Metamorphosis Monday
Tuesdays          Knick of Time       Tutus and Tea Parties       Coastal Charm  
                                      Boogie Board Cottage    A Stroll Thru Life
Wednesdays     Savvy Southern Style         Ivy and Elephants        Faded Charm Cottage            
                                     Fine Craft Guild      
Thursdays        Embracing Change     The Shabby Creek Cottage    No Minimalist Here 
                                     Between Naps on the Porch Tablescape Thursday
Fridays            French Country Cottage       My Romantic Home        Miss Mustard Seed
                                    At the Picket Fence     Potpourri Friday     Common Ground
                                    The Charm of Home    Decorating Insanity
Saturdays        Funky Junk Interiors

Sundays           It's Overflowing

2 comments:

NanaDiana said...

Now you have TWO bangs for the buck....and updated picture AND a rehabbed frame. I hope they both sell now. Wouldn't it be funny if the person that bought the picture bought the frame to put it in?;>) xo Diana

srpprcrftr said...

Sure love how that frame turned out, can see how some art I have would look in that frame, yummmmmmy. Love the color you put on it. You're good girl.